twitter-bird slideshow translate-01 phone link-1 address facebook facebook-mobile photo-camera at-sign exclamation

Harris

Church of England Academy

Google Translate

Google Translate

E-mail

Email

Get in touch

Contact Details

Social Media

Newsfeed

Media Studies

OVERVIEW

Media Studies is an increasingly important and relevant subject. The modern world is filled with a range of media texts, which students encounter in all aspects of their lifestyles. Media studies provide students with the tools required to understand assimilate & manipulate these texts, allowing them to navigate the 21st Century world in a more Media literate manner.

 

KS4 CURRICULUM

Media study encourages creativity, analytical skills and introduces students to critical ways of thinking about the world around them. The subject develops extended writing skills, with focus on the use of good literacy skills. Media also allows students to develop their ICT skills through using a range of technology to create their own media products. Students taking Media Studies have the opportunity to work both in groups and individually, developing a range of skills including independent research, the ability to think creatively and analytically and also the ability to work to set deadlines. All of these attributes are highly valued by 6th Forms, Colleges and Universities whether they are being used to pursue Media studies or to transfer the skills to other subjects.

 

Assessment: 3 assignments spread across KS4 totalling 60% of the final grade and one exam at the end of the course for the remaining 40%.

 

SMSC IN MEDIA STUDIES

Media Studies encourages spiritual, moral, social and cultural development in many ways – especially through encountering a range of different types of media from a variety of cultures.

 

SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT IN MEDIA STUDIES

Developing a sense of self through group work, understanding our individual strengths and weaknesses and reflecting on our own progress and development is a key aspect of spiritual development in Media Studies. Students are given the opportunity to develop their imagination and creativity and are encouraged to reflect on their experiences.

 

MORAL DEVELOPMENT IN MEDIA STUDIES

Studying how different cultures and genres are represented in a range of areas of the media. Students explore moral issues in the media by looking at regulation and control learning about the responsibility of different media institutes.

 

SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT IN MEDIA STUDIES

Developing media ‘personalities’ as active consumers and producers allow students to explore their social development within the subject. Working in groups and taking different roles and responsibilities is one of many teaching aspects that allow students to achieve best possible results.

 

CULTURAL DEVELOPMENT IN MEDIA STUDIES

Developing an understanding and appreciation of a wide range of cultural influences through studying a range of media texts gives students an insight into how ones culture and background can have an impact in the study of Media. Developing an understanding of how different audiences from different cultures respond to media texts plays an impact part of this process.

External Links

External Links

Choose a link to visit.

Top